Saturday, March 27, 2010

Give Me 5! - For Kelcey

Kelcey



Jakob



For many of us Christmas is that moment in time when we focus on the people we love and we do everything in our power to make sure they feel it. We even extend part of that love and kindness to people who we don’t really know just in case they don’t have someone giving them that support.

Anyway, that ‘s how it should normally go but in the moments before Christmas 09 my friend Tracey was told that her daughter Kelcey aged 9 years had a disease known as T-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia. You don’t need Wikipedia to work out that this is a damned serious disease that has no right to be in anybody’s life especially someone so young and hungry for life like, Kelcey.

As you can expect this was devastating news for Tracey, her husband Kelvin and all their family and friends. The road ahead for Kelcey is a constant barrage of invasive treatments that will challenge every physical and mental part of her being. She is a child with a whole bunch of dreams and wishes that have now been cruelly wrenched from her. It’s not fair.

Tracey and Kelvin are determined to see their precious Kelcey overcome this disease and begin to enjoy the things that children are designed to enjoy.

I will be fully supporting Tracey and her family in this campaign because she has done so much for me, my family and many other people who know her. I am confident she probably has no appreciation whatsoever of how much she has inspired and strengthened those around her.

Tracey has unwittingly done this as she waged her own battle against breast cancer a few years ago. Yes, it’s hard to believe that while she still has her own fight to finish she has found the reserves of courage to fight for Kelcey. That’s too remarkable for words.

My 9 year old son Jakob has developed a strong relationship with Kelcey through this time. Perhaps this had its beginnings when Tracey and I were two friends with three months between our pregnancies. Jakob has seen and understood how very different Kelcey’s situation is from his own so when he talks about her you can feel the powerful strength in his belief that she will be cured.

He wants to help Kelcey so tomorrow he’s joining a “shave off” that will be staged by the Auckland Police Dog Section. Yes, my son is going to shave his head to raise funds for Kelcey. He made this decision himself and he already has set himself a target figure. Jakob’s theory is that if a 1000 people amongst the billions who live in this world sponsored him $5.00 each then he would have $5000 to give to Kelcey and her family. The mother in me wants to say to him “Son let’s keep it real. You don’t want to be disappointed” but he believes he can do it so I’m going to believe with him.

So this is where YOU come in.....

Please donate $5 to Kelcey’s fund and then PLEASE forward on to everyone and anyone you can think of! We have about a week to get this thing ‘global’ and I will be updating his progress as the figure climbs and adding photos of the ‘Shave Off’ Fundraiser..... with the new look Jakob!

If you made it this far then I thank you..... now PLEASE go press that Donate button :O)



27 comments:

Jennywenny said...

That is really awesome to see what Jacob is doing, what a fantastic little boy!

I just raised over $3k for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society recently and finished my 8th 100 mile bike ride for them so hopefully some of that money will go towards cures and answers too.

The Cake Maker said...

Awesome work Jennywenny xxx

Sugary Goodness (Kim) said...

You got 5 from me Jakob! Good luck and I wish you the best in reaching your goal.

The Cake Maker said...

Thanks so much Kim xxx

Yvette Hooley said...

You are such an amazing person as to is your son, being a major fan of your cakes l'm also inspired by your generosity and kindness. I've just made a donation and will try and seek more from friends and family. I wish Kelcey and her family all the best.

Yvette xx

Sharnel said...

Kathryn,
Just made a donation. I donated on behalf of 10 people.
Posted the link on facebook too.
And I'll do a post on my blog.
Jakob, you are an amazing young man. Be proud of yourself.
xx
Sharnel

CraftyConfections said...

I've made a donation (I only wish I could give more), and think Jakob is a remarkable boy - much like his Mum!

Best of luck with the fundraising!

flickr said...

What an incredibly selfless and admirable thing to do, Jakob!!
there are a lot of people from around the world who are so proud of you..... me for one!!
Best wishes!! cindy g.

Tracey Lau said...

Jakob, you are an angel x

Benedetta said...

Hi Jakob and Mom :-)
I'm Benedetta, i'm from italy and i discover your story by another foodblogger. You got 5 from me Jakob, thank you to remember me that people together can make something good real. I will talk to my friends and family about your fundraising to make soon another donation and post it on my facebook too.
keep on, Jakob!

Lizcnz said...

What a great thing your son is doing. My 12 year old daughter is cutting her waist length hair off to donate to make wigs for cancer children so this really touched me as well.

So you've got 5 each from me and my daughter.

Steve said...

Awesome going Jakob! And we love the new look too!
Ryan and Amy

MelCakeEdwards said...

What amazing children Kelcey and Jakob are!

The Cake Maker said...

THANK YOU so much for your donations!!! Kelcey is home tonight from an extended hospital stay and is checking in a reading your comments and watching the Target grow.

Another big thanks to those of you who have posted this on your blogs/facebook pages etc. You are truly all awesome xoxo

Siobhan. Vanessa said...

Hi 5 Jakob! One from each of our family of 5 who are inspired by your kind heart and congratulate you on your mission to help Kelcey and her family.

MrsKT said...

What a wonderful friend Jakob is to Kelcey. Good luck with reaching your target. You have 5 x $5 one for each in our family.
K xxx

Pauline Soo said...

You just got 5 from me, Jakob! Best of luck with the fundraising.

Benedetta said...

Hi Kathryne, i wrote the post about Jakob on my blog, that's it

http://conunpocodizucchero.blogspot.com/2010/03/aiutiamo-jakob-e-kelcey.html

it's in italian :-) but i think you can understand that we're with you

Shirley said...

You have my support Jakob and I am so PROUD of you for being such a good friend to Kelcey. And I love your new haircut!
Love,
Shirley

Sue (Pink Gerbera) said...

Hope you'll post pictures of Jakob's new haircut!
Good luck in reaching your target Jakob

sara said...

Hi Jacob and Mom I'm Sara from Italy and I've read about you on a food-blog. You got my 10$ and I will speak of you and your project to all my friends!
Good luck!!

Alessandra said...

Hello Jakob, you got my 5! I'm Alessandra, from Italy...good luck!

beachvintage.com said...

High 5! Done.

Sandrina said...

Ora ci sono anche i miei 5, dall'Italia!
Non ho molte parole da dire se non pregare e aspettare che kelcey guarisca!
Questo รจ il modo migliore per usare internet,bravo Jacob!

Sorry I dont speak english!

Unknown said...

we just donated $25 to your very good cause. we wish you the very best of luck with raising plenty more!
xoxo gail & alison
faire frou frou

Kate said...

Done - just donated a small amount $10. Sorry it couldn't be more. Best of luck to Kelcey, her mum and Jakob - you are one cool kid!

k8

Thank Heaven for Little Swirls said...

I am so sorry to hear about Kelcey :( My 7 year old nephew, Jayden Lamb, was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma/PNET (spinal and brain cancer) in May 2010. (You can read his story here: http://www.ourmidland.com/news/article_d38f55f9-9ce7-584a-9bc8-eb7860003966.html) He spent the rest of the year in Tennessee at St. Jude and just came home on the 2nd of this month. He has been my biggest inspiration that no matter what happens in life, enjoy every minute of it because you only get one chance!

God bless your son...what an amazing little boy Jacob is! And of course, Kelcey too for being so brave.

~Trisha